There are various estimates about the rate of click fraud, but one thing most studies agree on: click fraud is rampant. I’ve seen reliable studies putting click fraud at 25%, and more.
How can you reduce the impact of click fraud? Here’s a few quick and easy methods:
- Watch for traffic spikes, and reduced conversion rates, outside your averages.
- Contextual advertising – while content targeted advertising can be cheap, it does require careful monitoring. See above.
- Don’t advertise in countries you don’t serve. Use the geo-target function. Watch for any traffic that falls outside your targeted regions.
- Watch for numerous duplicate IP addresses in your stats.
- Unless you’re very experienced, stick to the major PPC search providers. The traffic from smaller engines requires careful monitoring.
- Implement click fraud monitoring software
- Report your findings to the search engines. The more data you have, the better your chances of a refund.